Thursday, January 27, 2011

Taking down walls

I wonder, Anjuli if it would be helpful to know a little more about Scientology. I have gotten asked that before, too and I say it's not the same, but I don't really know much about Scientology to explain why it's different even though I know it is.

Also, I have friends who I've known for years, but never conversed with about Christian Science directly because they're in the medical field and I'm afraid they'll think I'm crazy. It's hard to feel genuinely close to those friends because I don't feel like they understand much of what's at the core of who I am. Recently I've started to realize that perhaps I've put those walls up, not the other way around. I'm interested in knowing how we can get past walls we've put up over years to help friends know us and understand where we're coming from in a better way.

2 comments:

  1. It IS important to know how to differentiate Christian Science from Scientology, because they're so often confused-or people think they're the same thing. For me, a couple points about Scientology that are easy to remember are: 1) it's a set of beliefs and related practices created by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard in 1952, who wrote the self-help book "Dianetics." 2) Scientology involves mental visualization techniques, rather than Christian prayer. The aim of the "audits" done by Scientologists is to consciously re-experience painful or traumatic events from their past in order to free themselves of their limiting effects.

    Christian Science was discovered by Mary Baker Eddy in 1866 as the result of her healing, through prayer, of life-threatening injuries from a fall. It's a system of spiritual healing and living that's based squarely on the Bible, especially Christ Jesus' ministry, and it's explained in Eddy's book, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures." The healing practice of Christian Science never includes the reliving of past painful experiences, but it's based entirely on a deeper understanding of God as Love, Truth and Life, and the nature of man as perfect, spiritual, whole-and forever good.

    The important point is that Christian Science and Scientology having nothing in common whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    I completely agree that more education about how CS is similar (and different) than other major religious thought is very helpful in talking about what makes CS so special--and helps break down those walls protecting the core. (I know exectly what you're feeling about. My inner core has been protected by a double-walled fortress a lot of a time.) I am so excited to talk more about this at the workshop!

    ReplyDelete