I’ve found that when people ask me about Christian Science that there is usually some back story to it.
So when someone asks a question about Christian Science, I’ll usually ask them a question.
For instance they say: “What is this Christian Science all about?”
And I’ll say: “Why do you ask?”
And then I find out that they had a relative that was a Christian Scientist, or that they were studying it in a Comparative Religions class, or they read about it and it sounded terrible, etc. That’s so helpful because then I am answering their question, and not just going into what I want them to know.
When I first started sharing Christian Science, I spent a lot of time thinking what I want other people to know, how I want to be perceived, or how I want them to perceive Christian Science or even Christian Scientists ( “I just want them to know we are not crazy people!” that was one of my rationales!)
But I saw that they were operating off of their own desire to know. They want to know for themselves: for assurance, for hope, for curiosity’s sake.
For those of you who have read Christian Healer, did it strike you how attentive Mary Baker Eddy was to people – even to those she didn’t know?
When I’m in a conversation with another about Christian Science, it is so very helpful to take the focus off of me (what I know or don’t know) and onto them. When I am more attentive to them, I listen better to them and to God, and let spontaneity take over.
I don’t profess to have all the answers about Christian Science and I am okay with that. I am still learning. And to engage with another thinker gives us both the opportunity to learn something new.
Questions or comments like
“Here’s a thought….”
or
“I’ve been studying ( pick one) how Jesus heals/Christian Science/healing and prayer and this has been my experience…”
are sometimes helpful prompters in getting a conversation going. Then it is just fun.
Great strategy: answering a question with a question! :) It's truly loving to best meet their needs, rather than feel like the conversation is all about you. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and self-reflection... it's helping me think about things differently!
ReplyDeleteHi Meghan -
ReplyDeleteI think you hit the nail on the head! It IS truly loving to see how we can meet their needs, and that desire to meet another's needs results in Love's providing the right responses.