Today I was thinking about two different contexts in which we have the opportunity to talk about Christian Science: when we're asked about it directly, and everything else. In my own experience, invariably the former has been a lot easier to work with. Earlier I wrote about a friend who had been asking me questions about Christian Science, and because she was asking me directly that made things easier to open up a dialogue. However, what I've struggled with is how we can talk about Christian Science--or if we should--in contexts where no one is asking any questions about it.
I work with the Christian Science Organization on the UW Madison campus, and recently we took part in the "Student Organization Fair": a fair where students can come to check out all of the various student organizations on campus. They give each organization a 6-foot table, and we're allowed to bring posters, sign up sheets, candy, etc. to try to recruit new students. The fair lasted three hours, and during that time we had a grand total of 1 person sign up for our email newsletter. Two students and I manned the table, and we stood in front of the table eagerly waiting for anyone who might come by with questions. And I have to confess that perhaps I have some "timidity" that I need to work on, because like I said, really only one person seriously approached us, and none of us felt too comfortable with the idea of trying to stop any of the students passing by and make them hear us out.
I've just never felt comfortable with the idea of proselytizing in general, because I know that people don't respond well to having ideas forced on them, and I know from working in retail that a "hot air" sort of salesmanship may seem to get immediate results, but in truth it doesn't really listen to people's needs. So I guess I'm wondering how I can balance this idea of not wanting to try to force anything uncomfortable on anybody, that would inadvertently turn them away, with a desire to be able to speak the word of God with boldness.
Gordon,
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly the type of post I was hoping to get on this blog to launch us into the workshop with an active list of specific things people want to improve on. I too want to improve on this so helpfully we can help teach each other.
When I was leading the CSO at the University of Minnesota, I set up a table like you did several times and always with less success than I hoped for. In looking back, I think what I lacked most was confidence that what I had to share was something people could appreciate. There will always be an ample audience quietly seeking a clearer definition of good. So all we have to do is find a way to show people the endless benefits of learning to continually clarify your understanding of good.
Granted.....how to show people that in a way that engages them is not easy hence why we're having this workshop. I think if we view sharing C.S. as simple as providing people with our God-guided viewpoint on whatever is we're talking about, it becomes much easier. In any speech or action where we represent God, we will attract those who are attracted to good.